Cleaning Readymade Curtains
Readymade curtains can be cleaned by dry cleaning, hand wash or machine wash. The method of washing readymade curtains should be selected, based on its fabric composition. Most readymade curtains come with clear manufacturer instructions on the manufacturer label. The instructions on label must be strictly followed (click here to view washing symbol guide).
- As a general precaution, it is advised to remove all curtain hardware such as hooks, rings etc before cleaning the curtains.
- Dust off dust mites and removable dirt by patting lightly on the curtain, while it is still hung in curtain pole.
- Lined readymade curtains should be dry cleaned.
- Washable readymade curtains can be hand washed with mild detergent and drip dried.
- Test the fabric for color bleeding(especially jacquard curtain) by rubbing a diluted detergent solution on a reverse side of the curtain.
- Hand washing readymade curtains reduces the amount of shrinkage that occurs more in machine wash.
- It is recommended that the readymade curtains be ironed before it is fully dry. Iron the curtains lengthwise to reduce shrinkage of curtain.
- Most readymade curtains except velvet curtains are safe to iron on low setting. Voile curtains can be reverse ironed.
- Also avoid ironing on the hem and lower end of the curtain.